Natalia Alianovna Romanova, AKA Black Widow. AKA: Natalie Rushman, Nancy Rushman, Nadine Roman, Natalia Shostakova, and the list goes on and on. As you may have guessed, my favorite Bad Girl is a spy.
Not just any spy either. In my heart, she is THE spy. Maybe it’s because she operates in a male dominated field and society, uses that fact as one of her greatest weapons, and few people have the slightest clue she’s doing it. Maybe it’s because she is a master of disguise, not always in outward appearance, but in making you see whoever it is she wants you to see: Demure administrative professional, emotionally compromised Avengers team member, casual collegiate mall rat, World Security Council member. She was never really any of these things, but damn if she wasn’t convincing. Maybe she’s my fave because when I say she kicks ass at her job, I mean she KICKS ASS at her job.
All of these things make her one of the world’s top spies, but they’re not the reasons she’s my favorite Bad Girl. Natasha is a world class Bad Girl because:
1) She can be very patient and understanding, but she isn’t going to take a bunch of sh*t off anyone. Remember that time Happy was giving her a hard time about Booty Boot Camp, thought he knew it all and was going to show the secretary something? Yeah. That wasn’t gonna happen.
I would say poor Happy, but I think he enjoyed it.
2) Black Widow is dedicated, hard-working and refuses to give up on herself or the people she believes in (which are a select few, but still). Her loyalties are hard won, but once you have them, you have them. You may not realize that you have them, but that’s your problem, not hers. The words quit, give up, and surrender do not exist in her dictionary. Re-invent, Re-build, Survive. That’s her thing.
3) She’s independent AND a team player. This is why she’s an Avenger. Yes, she’s a master spy and assassin, and she can certainly have her own agenda, but she’s an Avenger because if she’s on your team, she’s going to get the job done. Remember that time she recruited The Hulk to join the Avengers? Remember that time she got Loki to spill his master plan? Remember that time she used the staff to close the portal and save the world? She’s a Bad Girl you want on your side.
3) She’s learning to accept herself, good and bad, strengths and weaknesses, and it’s all of these things that make her HER. This is no small feat for a spy. Natasha can be whoever you want her to be, but her real identity is what lies underneath. Some of it’s pretty, some if it is ugly, but she’s figuring out who she is and learning to embrace it, as is every Bad Girl. Go watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but this time, watch it for Natasha’s character arc. You’ll see her goals of trust and true friendship, her motivation to do right by herself and those she considers friends, and the conflict of her past and the red in her ledger. She is the epitome of the complex character.
4) She knows her taste, in style and men, and she rocks it. Be it smart business suits, slim-fit dresses, leather tactical suit, those cute wedge Nikes, long curly hair or sleek blunt cut, Natasha owns her looks. She looks amazing because she’s in great shape, but also because confidence is hot.
Regarding the men..ohhhh she has a type. And boy do I approve of Natasha’s type! She likes them strong and lean, with shady pasts to match her own, but deep down they’re good men. They’re spies and assassins too, so they can relate to a woman like her. Her rumored list of relationships includes Hawkeye and the Winter Soldier. *the highest of fives on the amazing taste in hotties*
Obligatory Winter Soldier/Bucky gif. Like you didn’t know I was gonna…
I’ll also toss in the fact that she’s now good buddies with Steve Rogers. Clearly, she’s got great taste.
All of this is why Black Widow is my favorite Bad Girl. Tell me what you think. 🙂